Saturday, September 19, 2009

Taught by God

After probably about six years of being consciously reformed (Calvinistic), I have been sorting out some of my thoughts regarding this very Biblical theology. Calvinism has come to be defined by five points (TULIP). While I am in complete accord with the so-called five points of Calvinism, I have recently been steering away from using these five truths to define Reformed theology.

Calvinism is not simply a response to the five points of the Remonstrants. It is a Biblical theology that exalts God. It elevates God's holiness, freedom and glory; while at the same time radically eliminating man's contribution to anything worthy of praise. The more I understand the attributes of God, the more Christ increases and the more I "decrease".

When "taught by God" (Jn 6:45), this God-honoring, Christ-exalting and flesh-withering (to borrow language from Pink) theology serves to make my worship pure, sweet, emotional, rational and truthful. What a great blessing to be able to render to God, by His grace, the honor due Him.

No comments: